- 1 Chicken butterflied
- 3 TBS Dijon Mustard
- 1 TBS Honey
- 2 TSP Soy Sauce
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Flatten the chicken out, skin side up.
- Whack it with your fist to crack the breastbone (for easier carving).
- Fold the wing tips back and tuck them under the chicken.
- Salt and pepper both sides.
- Blend the mustard, honey, soy and oil. Brush generously on both sides of chicken.
- Let sit at room temperature for an hour or so, or cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Roast over direct heat (no drip pan), at a grill temperature of 270 (about 300 dome).
Start skin side up; after 50-60 minutes, flip the skin side toward the coals. Roast another 30 minutes or so, until skin is golden brown and crispy and the meat is done to your liking. Now I skipped the last bit about roasting for another half hour. Our little bird was more than done without needing to flip it over. In fact, it tasted absolutely great after resting under a foil tent for 15 minutes. To accompany the honey mustard chicken we had garlic brown rice and roasted corn on the cob… Simple, tasty and all done under $20!
You’ll also love that our seven month old Kalyna really went nuts over this recipe. We took a bit of everything and pulsed it in the blender 2 or 3 times…she ate the entire bowl, smacking her lips and repeating “mmmmmm” over and over and over!
Bon apetite! Roman